MBP - Will it run CS5 production suite?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Theteapartyvip, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Theteapartyvip macrumors newbie

I posted a few nights ago about whether to get an imac or a mbp and decided on a 15" MBP. I was looking into the software i would be using last night and i saw that Adobe prduction suite which is what i will be using for my film editing (which is a major) needs a 7200RPM hard drive does anyone know how it runs on 5400RPM. Is it worth me saving up to get an SSD instead (if possible could someone please explain what SSD is?) I do plan on getting an external to do my editing on, but i want to use the MBP as the computer. Thank you so much for reading my noobish question!

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Your MBP will handle CS5 just fine. As for the 7200rpm drive i believe that's required because you need a fast hard drive to act as a scratch disk when your editing your video.

If your worried about your 5400rpm drive i suggest you get a external drive with a firewire connector and use that as your scratch disk. That will be much faster than the internal hd in your MBP.

To learn what a SSD i suggest you read the wikipedia page. Also SSD's are much faster than even the fastest harddrives because they have no moving parts and data is stored on flash memory chips, also they much more expensive than traditional harddrives.

3. Theteapartyvip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the wiki liknk (feels so stupid)
    I think i'll just get the MBP with 5400RPM, if that is slow i can always get and external hard drive later on. Thanks!

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

If you haven't purchased the MBP then just do a built to order at apple's web store with a 500GB harddrive at 7200rpm instead or just change the harddrive yourself, it's easy.

5. GS17 macrumors member

GS17

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Get the config with the 7200 rpm drive although it probably is cheaper to get the lowest end drive on apples site, then order a 7200 rpm drive and install it yourself.

Also you don't really want to use an SSD as your scratch disk.

7. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

You don't want to use your boot drive as a scratch disk anyway. On a MBP, I would use an external 7,200-rpm FW800 drive.