MBP will not start up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by conormurray, Jun 4, 2011.

1. conormurray macrumors newbie

I have a November 2007 2.2GHz, Core 2 Duo 15.4" MBP with Snow Leopard and all updates installed plus MAC office 2011.
    The 120 Gb HD filled up quickly and I now use a 500Gb USB drive with TM as back up and additional storage. But I was at 8-10Gb free space.
    I was then getting too many page swaps and spinning discs. So I recently replaced my RAM and went to 2 x 2 Gb modules and with the additional RAM the page swaps stopped.
    However over the last few days I got the spinning discs more and more, particularly in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
    I looked up MacForums and followed a suggestion to start up in Safe mode to run an automatic HD check. I did this and ran a few Mac Office programmes to see if they started up quickly and ran smoothly in parallel, which they did.
    UNFORTUNATELY after I shut down and hit the start button again it would not restart.
    All I keep getting every time I try is the start up sound AND then the Apple symbol AND then it seems to try and start up in Safe mode but the bar fills about 25% and then the bar disappears leaving the spinning segments ..... never finishing start up.
    Help please.
    Regards,
    PS I have ordered a new 2.5" SATA HD, Seagate 500Gb 7,200rpm anyway and I have my TM backup BUT....
    Conor

2. conormurray thread starter macrumors newbie

MBP will not start up

Correction & apologies
    All I keep getting every time I try is the start up sound AND then the Apple symbol AND then it seems to try and start up in Safe mode but the bar fills up to *about 25/35% and then the fill disappears leaving an empty bar, the Apple and the spinning dashes ..... never finishing start up.
    Regards, Conor