MBP will not start.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoctorPiranha, May 28, 2010.

1. DoctorPiranha macrumors newbie

Ok, so yesterday mid afternoon, i closed the lid on my MBP and left for a few hours. I came home, opened the lid and heard the HD spin up, but nothing appeared on the screen. So I opened and closed the lid a couple times... shook the mouse, punched a bunch of buttons on the keyboard... but nothing changed. So I held the power button for 5 seconds to shut it off. When I tried to turn it on after that nothing happened. The HD spun for about a second, then a couple small beeps sounded and it shut off again. I have tried everything... Reseting the PRAM and the SMC, and yet nothing changed.

Funny thing is about a week and a half ago, I just replaced my HD with a new 500 GB 7200 RPM Hitachi. I had a local mac repair guy do it. He cloned over my drive and it was all good until yesterday.

I doubt this is an easy fix, and I'll have to get a pro to check it out. I have tried contacting my local mac guy again about my problem, but he will not return any of my calls or emails. The nearest Apple store is 2 hours away in Charlotte, which i would really like to avoid that drive if I can. I also do not have apple care, and I don't want to pay the 50 dollars to talk to apple if I can avoid it.

Has anyone here seen anything like this before? Can anyone help me? Anything would be appreciated.

Edit: My MBP is a 15" 2008 model. Never had a problem with it for 2 years.
    I do game a ton. And the MBP heats up like a frying pan when ever im in game for even a short amount of time. I know that nVidea has stated their 8600M GT GPU are faulty. This is what I think is causing my computer to die, but I am not sure...

2. WG5516 macrumors regular

Is your computer getting power from the AC Adapter? try to reboot your battery. With your laptop off, hold down shift, control, option and the power button at the same time. That should restart the battery.

3. DoctorPiranha thread starter macrumors newbie

meh. I found a authorized apple service store in Asheville, and I found out that my MBP needs a new Logic Board. good bye 550 dollars. Thanks for the replies

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That's why applecare is so important...

5. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I wonder why it needs a new motherboard. They're not supposed to break unexpectedly.

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

It sound like you have the 8600GT failure, they'll say it's a logic board failure even if they don't know about the GPU issue.
    You need to call the authorized store and ask them if the graphic card failed and tell them that Apple has a technote that say it's covered automatically.

7. DoctorPiranha thread starter macrumors newbie

I knew about the Nvidea issue and I asked them about that when i was there. They said my model was not covered by that issue.

I do wish i had gotten applecare now... at the time i did not want to put down an extra 300 dollars.

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

Dude, call Applecare right away and refer to this TS article, http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

9. DoctorPiranha thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll call them in the morning. I had read that article which gave me that idea my GPU caused my MBP to die...

10. Hydroxs macrumors regular

11. DoctorPiranha thread starter macrumors newbie

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

Did it chime when your laptop was working or did you turn it off?

I had mine turned off, it really doesn't matter.

13. DoctorPiranha thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I had the chime on. But no It did not sound.

14. Hydroxs macrumors regular

If the chime did not sound then it is a logic board failure since it did not post. I had the same problem and sent in my mbp with the tech note printed and taped on the mbp. They said it was a logic board failure since the chime didn't sound and couldn't perform the video test to see if the 8600m GT was at fault

15. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

the chime were talking about is the audio chime the macs make? or is it the actual hd drive sound?

16. Hydroxs macrumors regular

The one you hear from the speakers when you turn on the mac.

17. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

ah i see, thanks! good to know theres a way to tell if somethings wrong.

18. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Is yours an early 2008 MacBook Pro, or the 15" Unibody? Either sell it for parts on ebay, or try to find a new logic board for cheaper. It sucks how Apple solders everything. On my Dell, logic boards are cheaper, as the CPU is removable. On a Mac, its soldered to the logic board.

19. kungfumonkey macrumors newbie

Hey dude!

I'll sell you a car!?

20. MikhailT macrumors 601

Unfortunately, it's rare to get CPU failures with the logic board, it's the GPUs that fail in this case. I don't think GPUs are removable in most cases.

But you're right, because everything is built in, it's expensive to replace as Apple's replacing the whole computer except for RAM/HD.