MBP will sometimes charge, sometimes won't

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikeswim07, Jan 30, 2014.

1. mikeswim07 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am having a weird problem where my MBP won't charge reliably.

I will plug in the magnetic part to the computer and it will charge for about 10-20 seconds and then it will stop charging. I can then take it out and plug it back in and it might work for a few minutes and then stop or it might not work.

There then was a period of 2 days where the charger wouldn't work at all, so
    I bought a new 60w power adapter hoping that this was the problem but the problem is still there. I did an SMC reset and it didn't appear to help. Surprisingly, the old charger that didn't work at all is now working but it also has the same 10-20 second problem.

What do you think the problem is?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

is there any gunk inside the power port on the MBP?

3. mikeswim07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked but it doesn't seem to be dirty. What is the protocol for cleaning it properly. I can try this

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Most probably your power socket (from the wall) is providing less power than it should. Happened to me earlier this days. I was getting a message "Battery Is Not Charging" while appeared "Power Source: Power Adapter".

Solution: try other sockets, other houses. To me, using another power socket or getting rid of any external power stabilizers solved the issue.

5. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

6. durkkin macrumors regular

Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol. Make sure the computer is powered off and remove the battery if possible.

I would also suggest running Coconut Battery to see the health of your battery. It could be as simple of a problem as the battery being bad, a MagSafe board issue (a relatively inexpensive fix), or as serious as a Logic Board problem.