MBP Windows 7 64bit BootCamp uses 9400M or 9600M GT

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Artmuzz, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Hi,

Since the Macbook Pro has two graphics cards installed which graphics card does Windows 7 use? Is it the GeForce 9400M or 9600M GT?

How do I change between Graphics cards on Windows 7?

Please advise

Art

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks.

I was a bit disappointed when Windows 7 rated my MBP 2.8GHz at a score of between 5.9 and 6.1:( The graphics being the base score when I thought I had bought a super fast MacBook Pro

Art

4. robj macrumors regular

But 5.9 and 6.1 over what?

I remember that top vista score was 6.0. Maybe Microsoft set this top over in later updates.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Win 7 goes to 7.9. I believe that some folks have found the GPU to be underclocked, and have provided steps to change the clock rate.

Given how hot it gets as is I'd hate to see what it does when the clock is increased!

B

6. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I got the scores wrong

Windows 7 rated the following..

CPU - 6.4
    Graphics - 5.3

Art

7. valvehead macrumors regular

Did you try the latest official driver from nvidia?

I'm getting 5.9 for graphics on my early '08 MBP (Win7 x64 RTM). I'm using Rivatuner to force the 8600M to "performance 3D". It's not overclocking though. It's just forcing the card to operate at the highest standard clock all the time. I'm not concerned about the slight heat increase and battery performance hit because my MBP is plugged in most of the time. In spite of that it still runs cooler in Win7 than it ever did in XP. I mainly chose to force the performance mode because it has been shown that audio dropouts can occur when the card switches modes automatically. I use my MBP for audio recording so I can't accept any interruptions (I also kill the wireless and latency-riddled bootcamp service while I'm working).

I don't recommend using Rivatuner to overclock beyond the standard levels. There simply isn't enough heat-sinking available. I also caution against using Rivatuner in general unless you know exactly what you are doing.

That said, 5.3 for graphics is not a bad score for a laptop. Unless you are doing some serious gaming, you are not likely to notice a difference of a few points. I was getting 4.9 while I was still on Win7 RC. It jumped to 5.9 when I installed RTM. It seems a little snappier, but that could be the fresh install or my imagination.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suppose not knowing any better, I'm pretty pleased with the windows experience index for my MBP. I mean it is a laptop after all not a gaming rig.

9. ausheikh macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 model 13" unibody macbook. When I am running Windows 7 64Bit dxdiag shows that the graphics card is a 9400M, is there anyway to change that to the 9600M GT???

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You don't have the 9600M GT in that system.