MBP + Wired Alum Keyboard USB = No USB Stick??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoulin333, Apr 6, 2009.

1. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Well i would imagine that plugging in my alum wired keyboard to my unibody 15" MBP i would be able to use my usb stick on the left open usb port. I have my wired mighty mouse on the right side and it works fine.

Anyone else have this problem? I guess i will have to go buy a USB powered hub, because the usb ports are so close together on the actual laptop that i can't have my usb key and something else plugged in at the same time..

Anyone else have this issue with the "low power" warning?

2. NickM macrumors 6502

I got the "low power" thing once. I had my aluminum Apple keyboard in one USB port, my mouse in the other, a USB jumpdrive in one of my keyboard's USB ports, and my iPod in the other keyboard USB port... kinda lame :(

Very few things makes me wish I went with the 17"... an extra USB port ON the computer is one of them.

Maybe get a USB expresscard?

I'm thinking about getting an external, powered USB hub. (one that plugs into the wall instead of drawing power from the computer)
    That should allow me to hook up a lot more USB-powered devices, right?

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I believe the MBP will only give full power to one usb port, the other is limited to 100ma I believe. which port it is depends on which port asks for the power first I think.

4. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Hmmm my keyboard is connected to a powered hub but just tried the USB keyboard on a flash drive and got the low USB power issue. My Razor mouse works and my Iphone will not work.