MBP Wireless Clarification

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phillyzero, May 29, 2008.

1. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

I'm considering buying a MBP (probably the 15" low end) but I've heard so many issues/problems about the wireless (unable to connect, unable to locate, lost/dropped connections etc...), and I've virtually heard nothing against the regular macbook's wireless connection.

My question, has the problem been fixed with the most recent MBPs (I doubt it, but maybe during the Penyrn Feb update somehow?) or with Leopard 10.5.3?. Also, is it really because of aluminum casing that there is this problem? I'm not saying that there isn't a range difference, I'm quite sure there is some wifi range difference between the plastic casing of regular macbooks and aluminum MBPs, but is the casing the actual problem? I really don't understand how it could cause such hassles for wireless. Any input from current/former MBP users would be highly appreciated.

2. Feng Shui macrumors regular

i've had the 15" low end for over 2 weeks now. wireless has no problem at all. buy the baby and you won't regret it :p

3. geekygoddess macrumors member

I have never had any wireless problems, whatsoever. Had mine for almost three months now.

4. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

2.16 core duo 15" mbp here

keep losing wireless connection, and range absolutely sucks compared to a macbook/any crappy pc.

most of the problem is with leopard, even my mac pro has a pathetic wireless range compared to the powermac g5 it replaced. it drops connection occasionally too.

the imac 2.8ghz which runs tiger has full signal 24/7 and never drops signal...

i imagine you'll probably be fine though. and i think 10.5.3 helps, but it still drops connection for no reason every now and again.

5. DjFever macrumors newbie

DjFever

If you are having problems with dropouts and disconnects, try lowering the 2 following settings on your wireless router.

Fragmentation Threshold: (Default: 2346, Range: 256 - 2346)
    RTS Threshold: (Default: 2347, Range: 0 - 2347)

They are prolly set at the default numbers. I suggest lowering both of them by 40.

ie... Frag: 2306 and RTS: 2307

Also change your beacon interval from 100 to 50.

This should greatly improve your wireless connections.

I use these settings with my Linksys WRT300N and have a solid full connection on all 3 floors of my house and out in the back yard. My router is kept in the basement just to give you an idea.

Cheers
    John

6. EwanP macrumors newbie

My problem is just that I get a pretty slow wireless connection when surfing the net (2.2 SR). Plugged into the router its fine...its a Leopard issue as I had no problems with Tiger!

7. DjFever macrumors newbie

DjFever

Not sure how this would be a leopard issue as I am running leopard and am not having any issues what so ever. Try making the suggested changes to your wireless router and see if that helps.

Cheers
    John

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

The range is always better with the plastic cases on a mB, but my friends
    have no problem with their MBP's.

9. chapel321 macrumors member

I've had a 2.4 15" MBP Penryn since the beginning of March and I have never had any problems with wireless or anything else for that matter. :apple::apple::apple:

10. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I haven't had any wireless problems on my stock 15" Penryn MBP.

11. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

I've had my 15" MBP (Penryn) since March, no wireless problems whatsoever.