MBP: Wireless drops with large files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VideoBeagle, Jun 12, 2012.

1. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I have an older Mac Book Pro running Snow Leopard. When I try to transfer large files over my lan, let's say 500MB +, often it will start transferring and then the connection will just drop...

*the wireless icon in the menu bar goes gray
    *if I try to reselect my router, I'm prompted for my password.
    *If I turn wireless off, and then back on, the connection reconnects with no prompts, but I have to try again with the file transfer.

As I said, this seems to be just with large files over my LAN from other Macs or Windows...I couldn't really say if I've had issues with files from the Internet that I can attribute to this, and not to wider network issues.

This has happened with 2 different routers, the Apple Store folks the time I asked about it thought it might be "corrupted wireless preferences" and as it seemed to stop after a reimage, I assumed they were right...though it soon started happening again. It's been a pain, but never worth too much time to try to resolve. If I need to transfer big files, I hook up to the cable.

HOWEVER, yesterday's announcement that new MBP's having no ethernet has left me wondering:

a) If the problem I have common? Do other Mac Book (plain/Air/Pro) users run into this?

b) (as long as I'm here) has anyone any thoughts on resolving this problem?

2. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

No one wants to comment? That they've not had problems? That they have?