MBP Wireless Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 23027, Sep 13, 2007.

1. 23027 macrumors member

Hey so I have the new MBP 2.4ghz model..

And the wireless is terrible.

So the problem that happens is that even though it's connected, it will some times take like 3 minutes to load a page, and it randomly happens. It takes anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes depending on how much it feels like bugging me. My wireless is set up to high speed cable internet with a D-Link router. Every other computer I use takes about 2 seconds to load a page, that never changes. My other computers are using Windows, but I know it's not just the Mac OS X OS, because I ran Boot Camp with windows and it did the exact same thing.

The connection also likes to sign me out of msn when i'm not talking to someone for a lengthy period of time..

Every other computer including my dad's laptop with wireless has zero problems, except mine.

I'm wondering what I should do, and if you have a possible solution please make sure you tell me how being a fairly new Mac user..

Thanks and hope to reach a solution REALLY soon..

2. pianos101 macrumors regular

i had the same type of problem with my CD MBP a while back. the thing is, though, that i had the problem with OS X and not Win via BootCamp. What I did to resolve it was this; maybe it'll work for you:
    - go into the Network preference pane in System Preferences
    - in the "Show" box, click "Network Port Configurations"
    - Highlight "Airport" and click "Duplicate" and name it "airport copy" or something
    - then re-add the Airport: click New, name it AirPort, and the port is AirPort.
    Now, make sure the "On" checkbox is cleared for Airport Copy and that it's enabled for the new AirPort. Then try the connection and see what happens....

What gets me is that you're having problems with windows and os x, but hey, it's worth a try... good luck...

3. 23027 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah so i've done all the way up to the part where I name the new Configuration.. And I named it AirPort but it won't let me create it. Am I supposed to delete the old AirPort configuration, then make the new one after copying the original?

Oh and BTW I pretty much only use OS X now..

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think what you're experiencing is the legendary Powerbook/MBP wireless reception. Don't let the Airport indicator fool you; the reception is pretty bad. Try this: move closer to your router and see if there's a difference. At home, my mbp is usually far from the router (other side of the house in fact) and I get some choppy load times (including this site:eek:). However, it's never as bad as 3 minutes; mine usually loads within 30 seconds at worst and very quickly at random times. I too have a D-Link router if that's any consolation:eek: I asked an Apple Store employee about this when I was passing by, and his best response was, "maybe you should buy an Airport Extreme.":rolleyes: Granted it probably works a little better, but not that much better. I'd say that if moving closer to your router doesn't help, then you have a real issue. Post back when you've tried several ranges (almost next to it to all the way across your house). If it's the same, then you're going to need some real help. If you notice it go faster as you get closer to the router, then you'll know what's happening.

5. 23027 thread starter macrumors member

I use my laptop throughout my entire house, even outside in my back yard..

Regardless how close I am to the router, it doesen't change.

6. 23027 thread starter macrumors member

Okay so i made the new AirPort thing so disregard me not knowing what to do with the original one..

Well I guess within the last 1 minute it's been as fast as my other computers, but that could change..

I'll reply again tomorrow after i've had some real useage from it.

Oh and if this is a known issue or if it's not ordinary.. When I click on the wireless utility on the top bar, it pauses for a couple seconds before actually opening to show the wireless networks.. I'm assuming it's just delayed to open right away because it's searching for new connections..

If that sounds right (or not right) just let me know..

Thanks

7. 23027 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so right when I clicked the post button, the internet had a brain fart..

That one took about 1 minute. But it's going good again..

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Did you mean when you click this:

If so, then yes, it usually takes a few seconds for the list to appear. It's simply refreshing the networks available.

Attached Files:

9. 23027 thread starter macrumors member

Calboy

Yeah that's what I meant. Good to know though.. Thanks.

I'm still having this retarded issue by the way..

Reeeeeeeeally becomming aggrivated..

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I had alot of problem with my MBP and my D-Link DIR-655. I would drop connection and/or have slow speeds.

I had been looking at the Airport Extreme after the update and decided to give it a try.

Amazingly after I changed out routers my MBP worked perfect. Connects and goes online right when I open it up. Don't drop connection.

Now I do have problems when I hook up an Airdisk. That needs to be fixed. :(

11. 23027 thread starter macrumors member

Well that's kind of annoying. I just got a new router last Christmas.

Almost as if Apple made this issue purposely.

Anybody else have a solution to this?

12. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I don't think it was Apple..........I think my D-Link wasn't that solid.

13. 23027 thread starter macrumors member

I know it's not the D-Link because every single other computer in my house is accessing the internet through that router wirelessly, and has zero problems.