MBP Wireless issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thekorksta, Mar 25, 2008.

1. thekorksta macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook pro 17inch running 5.2, I have noticed when on the very edge of a wireless reception my 14 Month old laptop will not pick up the signal and often not even stay connected, when my g3 powerbook(os 4.9) will pick it up. Ok so maybe its a Lepard issue, well my girlfriend's ibook g4 (os 5.2) also will pick it up ok. So ive tried other base stations now with similar results.

Does the macbook pro 17inch just have crappy reception or is it possible I have a faulty card. I was going to open it up to see if the connection to the card from the antenna is ok but its not as easy as it is on the pismo or ibook and will void my warranty. Any ideas?

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i have a 15" MBPro and i can tell you that the iBook and MBpros reception are not in the same league, far from it. the MBPro reception is worse due to its metallic enclosure.

3. thekorksta thread starter macrumors newbie

I think your right. Ive done a little more research and it seems the plastic casing is much better at receiving signal. Wierd but whatever.

Thanks

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

it's not weird actually, one would think the case should act as a bigger antenna but it's not, the aluminum enclosure just interferes with the signal.

5. super98111 macrumors member

6. scott9s macrumors member

in the new MBP, the enclosure does not interfere, the antenna is in the center under the rubber.

second, there is a resent airport update.

third, try different wireless channels on your router if possible.

my router was set to auto channel. it picked channel 1, and I had terrible reception. my mbp was dropping wireless. I changed my router to channel 6, and I'm good to go, no problems.

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

though it is in the center rubber it is not an ideal place, but since it is the only large plastic piece in the entire computer they are forced to put it there.

A more proper way is to have it strung along the LCD panel on the sides. Thats how the macbook does it and several other non-Apple laptops, hence the better reception for them.

all else equal, the macbook pro just doesnt have the range of the macbook.

8. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha thekorksta,

You may want to update the firmware for your router, if you have not already done so. There are a lot of people who stop at blaming Leopard for their wireless problems, but in my case, only after I updated my router's firmware was I able to pick up either a wireless or wired DHCP IP assignment. Mind you, I did not experience any DHCP issues until a few days ago, but now everything is good to go.

HawaiiMacAddict

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

my wireless signal on my SR MBP is always good but the problem is the speed of the internet is always slower than my 1st gen imac and 1st gen macbook. im using roadrunner but iono if this is normal or not for those two products are better, running on firefox beta 4 (although its no different on safari 3.1)