Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alaibubu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
This problem only occurs at my sister's in laws' house.

I've installed XP via bootcamp on her MBP. She can connect to the internet in XP but not in OS X. The connection bar is full in OSX but no internet connection. We've tried resetting the router but no difference.

What's odd is that internet connection is ok at other places.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

alaibubu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
I can't check if OS X is getting an IP address right now, but how do I get an IP address to type manually?

JacobW

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Sweden
Hmm... that sounds strange... perhaps it's something with the device (a router?) streaming to the MBP? Maybe it's the TCP/IP settings in Mac OS X? Looking at my own TCP/IP settings on my PowerBook, I see that DHCP is selected for IPv4 configuration. I don't think you can do it manually without changing the settings in the router (I am using a NetGear WGR614 v6 for my Airport). Perhaps you need to switch it to DHCP. Try if that works.

alaibubu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
It seems that OSX did get an ip address. Its the same ip address used by XP. I used ipconfig in command prompt to get the ip address in xp.

I've tried setting the ip address manually and changing the last set of numbers in the address but no luck. I've reset the router and the modem by turning them off and back on. The wireless router is a dlink.

OSX can connect fine using ethernet though.

Any ideas? Anybody?

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
i have the same problem. i actually did a search and found several others with the EXACT same problem, but none had any explanations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.