MBP wireless range

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boazjoe, Jul 18, 2008.

1. boazjoe macrumors member

How do I improve the built in MBP wireless range? I have a friend with a 500.00 HP laptop and it has (literally) twice the reception as my high end MBP. Is there something I can do? I can't even get the wireless at work, all the while he is happily zipping along the internet. Argh! How humiliting!

HELP!!

Joe

2. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i know! it sucks..

free version:
    the wireless antenna is located right below the wording "macbook pro" when you computer is open (the different color grey bar thing), so if you spin your macbook pro and try to find which direction the signal is coming in you might get better reception

costly version:

buy an external usb wifi router, they are like $45 from linksys, then you will have a lot better signal

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or even better, just turn off the wireless and disconnect the switch on your friend's computer. :D

4. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

LOL

WHY IS TEH WIFI NOT WORKING?

5. Fabiano macrumors regular

6. boazjoe thread starter macrumors member

No, it is a g card and the network itself is g. Guess I might have to use an external antenna or an USB card. Hate to do that though. Seems to me a $2500 plus laptop should be better than this.

7. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

Yeah, I have some troubles in my living room sometimes... but in my room (where I use my MBP the most), it has no problems. :)

8. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

9. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

My friend's new MBP gets Wi-Fi all the way to the other side of the street!! It obviously has 802.11n and my router is the Linksys Ultra RangePlus Wirless-N (802.11n) the speed and range of this thing is amazing.

Buried all the way in my basement, I still get reception on ground level outside.

10. Fabiano macrumors regular

At my work, my MBP is geting exelent signal, from g networks. Also the network manager was surprised in how my MBP is geting signal of a network that no other laptop can get in the room I work! :D

Have to say so far that the MBP has the better Wi-fi reception I ever seen.

11. crobbins macrumors 6502

I do not have that particular router, but I do have a Draft-N router and it is in the basement. The MacBook Pro gets full bars on the second floor. Three floors later and I'm still at nearly perfect signal. It is excellent!

12. papa792 macrumors member

I have to SAME problem my cousins Dell works better than my MBP!!!!

13. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Despite what zealots and inexperienced users say, MBP wireless reception has always been bad, to say the least. Other manufacturers put an external antenna (but you can see it and apple does not want that) when they use metal cases.

<< I decided against the MacBook Pro on a number of grounds, now that processor speeds were equal. Evidently my skin is corrosive, judging by the craters on my palm rests, and that was something I could live without. As too was the ExpressCard slot, and the lesser battery life, and the built-in Faraday cage that meant for pathetic wireless reception >>

From the ars technica review of the macbooks.

On my MBP I have had three screens, the first one by AUO and the last two by Samsung. Honestly, the AUO model (which is the most recent led screen, samsungs are older) had a good reception (weaker than many other notebooks, but perfectly usable). I had zero problems when sitting in the office.

With the samsung screens my wifi connection is always dropping. And I am seated at the same desk.

thistle