MBP wireless

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tchaap, Dec 16, 2007.

1. tchaap macrumors member

I am about to upgrade from my G4 PowerBook to a MBP.

One of my only problmes with my PowerBook is that the wireless connectivity is weak. For example, my PC's pull much stronger signals.

I have been told that it was the aluminum and a strange attenea location.

How are the MBP's. They are also aluminum, correct?

Thanks,
    TC

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i don't think a wireless signal is going to have problems passing through some aluminum, i mean it can pass through walls and floors, so i think you shouldn't be worried what so ever...

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

An Aluminum computer is a Faraday Cage. This is as established as gravity; you're going to get less of a signal through a computer encased in metal than you will from one encased in plastic. That's why the Powerbooks got worse reception than the iBooks (or PC laptops), and that's why the MBPs get worse reception than the Macbooks (or PC laptops). So to the original poster, yes, you will face similar issues if you upgrade to an MBP, for exactly the same reasons. It will persist as long as Apple (or any manufacturer) encases a computer within a metallic exterior.

4. alexprice macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded from a PowerBook G4 Alu to a SR MBP, I find the wireless to be better.

Apple moved the location of the antenna on the MBP for better range.

5. Littlehoof macrumors member

Having previously owned a titanium alloy PC laptop and now switched to 17" MBP I can comment that while the MBP may have some slightly lesser range on its reception than say the plain plastic MB, its wireless still outperforms the old laptop I had by about 50%. Basically they're pretty good :)

6. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I made the exact same upgrade as you, and even though my MBP does not do as god as my roommates MB, it still does loads better than my old G4 did

7. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replys.

I bought the PowerBook a few months ago to test the Mac waters w/out dumping a lot of money for a product I might not like. I love it and now want to upgrade...just want to make sure I'm getting what I what.

thanks again,
    TC

8. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

The current MBP's have the wireless antenna under the rubber strip on the hinge, so it is not fully encased in metal. This is why the reception is slightly better than the older G4's. But I agree the reception is nowehere as good as on my Dell XPS laptop.