MBP with Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMackPro, Apr 17, 2011.

1. iMackPro macrumors 6502

I have recently been thinking about getting an Apple TV and i have a few questions about it. Ive been reviewing it on the apple site and it looks pretty cool. I was looking for reviews over the product but i cant seem to find it, usually its in a blue HTML link under the over view of the product. Anyways, do very many Notebook users have an Apple tv? Does it get much use?

I hook my MBP up to my 60" and watch movies and tv episodes all the time and i love it. i also stream netflix, however when i want to do this i cannot use my computer! I have been thinking about buying an apple TV just for this purpose, my question is can i stream my own movies over the apple TV or does apple have it rigged to where you can only play stuff that you have PURCHASED in iTunes? I rip all of my dvds after i rent them and have quite the collection!

If i cannot play my own content over the apple tv i will definitely not be buying this product!

Also: i do not see anything about a HDD on the apple TV. so you cannot store any music or videos on the device itself? So you stream them wirelessly over a network? So does it load the video and then begin to play it? So if you don't have really fast internet your movie will be stopping and buffering then? I have a pretty quick internet im just scared about trying to watch a 9 GIG blu ray and it not being able to load as fast as the movie plays. But if you can connect it to the macbook i guess wouldn't be a problem. Do any of you guys have these devices and simply let them connect dust?

Thank you's to everyone that has some input! I greatly appreciate it!! like i mentioned before, i looked for reviews on the website and couldn't find any so here i am! thank you again!

2. dizzy130 macrumors member

I use mine all the time to play ripped movies, so it'll certainly play things you didn't buy in iTunes. I don't have any blueray rips, but I've mostly had no problem streaming smoothly with comcast internet. Sometimes there will be a small problem buffering and a couple seconds of delay, but I think it's mostly due to the cheap router I have not my internet connection itself. When my connection is good I get as much as 20mbps down, though, so ymmv.

Bonus is that I use my Netflix subscription much more now, so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth finally.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

As dizzy notes, anything that's in your iTunes library can be streamed to Apple TV.

One recommendation though - make sure the router you're using can stream video feeds without being a bottleneck. The Apple TV supports 802.11n, so having a router that supports this also is the way to go.