MBP with cinema display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cinek, Apr 4, 2011.

1. cinek macrumors 6502

I was planning on getting an iMac, but it'll be a tight fit on my desk and it'll look rubbish :( so my other option is to get a MBP & an cinema display. Does anyone here have this setup? Is it recommended? I assume I'll also have to get a mac keyboard?

What are the advantages and most importantly disadvantages?

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

MBP works great with the ACD. You get both portability and more screen real estate when you need/want it. Disadvantages? I really haven't found any yet. You don't need another keyboard unless you plan on running it in clamshell mode.

3. kierennyc macrumors regular

I dont see how a cinema display with MBP, keyboard, etc will take up less space or look any 'better' than a iMac? In-fact, I would have though the opposite.

4. iMackPro macrumors 6502

+1

With that being said, id still rather have MBP + ACD.

NOTE: this is only because my needs are met on a MBP and i do not need the extra power an iMac or MP provide. Plus having the portability of my MBP is awesome as im in college, and never know where ill be studying next :D

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm going to agree with the previous couple posts. The MBP + ACD will end up taking up just as much or more space than an iMac. Perhaps just a 15" or 17" MBP may fit the bill here?

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

One is portable and the screen & computer are discrete, the other...isn't.

7. c7aea macrumors regular

Take a look at the Dell Ultrasharp in my opinion it looks better then the cinema display and it has a lot more for inputs.
    I have the 30" and it puts my MBP screen to shame.

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

A laptop is much more useful in college than a desktop. Well, unless you have an iPad too.

You can always wall mount the ACD.

9. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

I've never owned a MBP prior to buying my 17" a few weeks ago, always owned iMacs. I also bought a refurb 27" ACD. The combination is wonderful.

The ACD is basically an iMac without the logic board and drives. What this means is the ACD includes the speakers, the iSight camera, the internal mic, 3 USB ports, and of course the screen. An added feature is a cord that provides power to the MBP, USB plug, and the video/audio plug.

My MBP sits vertical in BookArc in clamshell mode. Essentially the MBP is providing the logic board and video.

The combo is like having an iMac, except I can have portability by simply removing the three connectors from the ACD.

It will definitely take up more space than an iMac because the MBP has to sit somewhere, even in clamshell mode.

The keyboard is an Apple wireless & Magic Trackpad. Another wonderful combo.

Buying only what you need, or can get by with is admirable, but when you're going to spend the money for the best computer anyway, buying what you would like to have just makes the purchase a LOT more satisfying. However, if you just view your equipment as another tool, then just getting by is probably fine.

10. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I have my MBP 15 on a Just Mobile stand and then have the wired Apple Keyboard, the Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad -and then of course the great looking Apple 27" Led Cinema Display.

You can charge you MBP from the power cord from the ACD 27" - and you get dual screen - I use the MBP 15" for text and codes, and the large 27" for Photoshop, Aperture and Dreamweaver - perfect combo for me.

I would have bought the iMac if it wasn't for the idea of having an entire computer 1" behind a large screen, which WILL lead to dust and heat issues in the long run - and I found that I simply preferred the combo of the MBP and the LED 27" ACD - this gives me the choice of taking the MBP with me around the condo and also bring it to customers, for situations when my MBA and iPad are not powerfull enough.

I can only recommend the combo of the MBP and LED 27" ACD. But it will take up more space than an iMac ofcourse :)
    Can't see how you can think the iMac will take up more space than a MBP + an 27" LED ACD ;)