MBP with edu discount at a UK store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shadyron, Jun 8, 2007.

1. shadyron macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm intending to buy an MBP over the next week or two, and will probably go to one of the stores over here. What credentials would I need if I wanted to buy under the educational discount scheme?

Also, is there any other discount available aside from the education (I'm trying to get the price down as much as possible)? :)

Diolch,

shady

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

You'd need some student ID, I believe that any college student can apply, but they get a smaller discount, whereas university students get larger discounts (varies from uni to uni). My sister got 15% off of my macbook, she is in Bath. She needed to provide a UCAS ID card as well as some other ID.

You can also apply for the free iPod nano promotion (if it is available in the UK yet) and sell the iPod online.

3. shadyron thread starter macrumors newbie

Stupidly, I forgot to mention that I'm University staff - so no student ID. I can get something from my line manager on University headed paper, plus I'm listed in the staff section on the University website and so on. This is the thing though - I'm not sure if they'd accept either of those?

4. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Hola :)

I recently went with a friend to the Apple store in the Trafford Center and he purchased an imac with a student discount. I phoned ahead to check what details would be needed and they said anything that indicates you are a student, from student discount cards and if at uni, library cards or letters of acceptance into the uni. As to how much of a discount it was I'm not too sure now (sorry I'm useless!)

For peace of mind just phone ahead, they get the question all the time and will quickly be able to tell you what to bring with you and how much of a discount it is.

If you are at university, there is a better discount available if you buy online while using the university network (you access it through your own computer on the education link of the store). It gives you a 3 year warrantee on top of a better discount, but this info isn't much use if you aint a uni student :)

Edit, I'm also too slow!

5. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Hmm, I think that staff members can get a discount, I am not too sure.

Your best bet would be to call 0800 039 1010 for Apple Higher Education Discounts.

There is further contact information here. Hope this helps. :)

6. shadyron thread starter macrumors newbie

It's quoted on various Apple pages that staff can, but as you say - probably better that I give them a call and find out.

Responding to the other respondee - it sounds like I'd be better buying online. I'll probably still go out to the Trafford Centre and have a look because I want to find out what the difference is like between glossy and non-glossy. If I'm parting with £1200 of my hard earned pounds, then I'll want to make damn sure it's bang on for me.

Cheers much,

Gary

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

Are you an academic? If so, yes. If not, then you'll have to chance it. In the UK, Apple's website explicitly states that you've got to be a teacher or a supervisor of students; whereas, in certain other countries, non-academic staff are included too.

As previous posters have said, the cheapest way via the online Higher Education store.

The discount there is around 17.5%, together with an extended 3-year warranty that is dirt cheap to upgrade to the the full Applecare. You would save around 8%.

There was a thread about this kind of discount earlier - if you were buying a MB (I know you're not, just to give you an idea) together with Applecare, you would be making an extra saving of £200 over the normal edu store. Certainly, the entry level MBP is £1,100 via the HE Store.

8. shadyron thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I'd not realised there was a difference in price between what's shown on procureweb and what's shown in the Apple Ed store. That's quite significant (it's 1104 against near enough 1199).

Interesting indeed.

Ta!

Gary