MBP with external display

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bibi2205, Jul 21, 2011.

1. bibi2205 macrumors member

Something that's been bugging me ever since the first DP.. In SL, when closing the lid on my MBP (while connected to an external display), it would go to sleep. This is perfect for me, as I use both screens while i'm working, and when I close it it means I'm done and want it to shut down. Easy, right? :)

Now, in Lion, when I close the lid on my MBP, it moves all the screens on my Mac to the external display and keeps going. That's not what I want. The only way to get it to go to sleep is by manually going to the Apple menu or using the keyboard shortcut.

Has anyone found a way to fix this yet?

2. ndpitch macrumors 6502

I actually had to fight with snow leopard to have it behave this way. I only use my 27 inch display when I have it docked on my Henge Dock, so I was pleased that it worked like this without having to change settings.

In snow leopard there was a way to set up how the displays behaved - I'm not sure if it's in Lion or not.

3. bibi2205 thread starter macrumors member

If it's there i haven't been able to find it.. Spent the last hour or so searching on Google with a lot of people asking the same thing, but nobody came up with an answer to fix it.. I understand this sleep behavior will be appreciated by many, but they have to give us the option to set it how we want, imo. :)

4. Maccleduff macrumors regular

True, in this case I think Apple have catered for the needs of the many, so have made this the default behaviour.

I guess, just have to get used to pushing the power button and clicking sleep, before closing the lid.

5. bibi2205 thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully someone will figure out a way to change it back to the SL method.. (Perhaps it's some 'defaults write'-thingy that hasn't been discovered yet.)