MBP with Geforce or Intel GPU

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kildeer, Dec 22, 2010.

  1. Kildeer macrumors member

    Nov 28, 2010
    Hi all,

    I need a new MBP 13" soon but am obviously going to wait until the new model comes out. I take it we're going to see the specs some time before it actually comes out?

    Question now is, do you think I should buy the current one off of someone who still has some in stock (with GeForce GPU) or buy the new one when it comes out even if it has Intel graphics. I realise no one knows how big it will be. I need it to run Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 when it comes out. I know SC2 runs fine on the current 13" and I think Diablo 3 will also, but I'm not sure how they will run with Intel graphics which, in my experience, can be somewhat inferior at times.

    What would you buy if the choice was between a 320M with 256 MB or some Intel with 512 MB?

  2. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    We have no idea what GPU will be inside the next generation MBPs, intel, AMD, Nvidia (it looks like the lawsuit between intel/nvidia may be settled out of court).

    There's no way we can judge what the performance of an unannounced laptop running an unknown GPU.

    If you need a MBP now, then buy one now, if you can wait up to 6 months, then you'll be better suited to wait.
  3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

    Anonymous Freak

    Dec 12, 2002
    Nearly every "preview" of the upcoming Intel graphics chipset still has it slower than the GeForce 320M. It comes very close (enough that Apple might consider it "acceptable",) but still falls behind.

    If absolute maximum graphics performance is what you want, wait to see. If it has a discrete GPU, go for it; if it doesn't, buy the current-generation.

Share This Page