MBP with GTX 775M?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fumetsu, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Fumetsu macrumors newbie

Hello guys! First time here!
    Since I want a MBP and I play games I was wondering about the possibilities of buying a MBP right now or wait for a version with a better graphic processor....
    What you guys say?
    Any chance it could come out soon enough to make it worth the wait??
    Thanks!

2. wytwolf macrumors regular

As the MBP line up was only recently updated July of this year I doubt there was be another update this fall. Avg refresh of the line up is about 260 days and the last update was 55 days ago. If they keep the same refresh rate he next update is not due for until about the end of March.

The last 4 updates were as follows: June 2012 -> Feb 2013 -> Oct 2013

Intel is set to put out Broadwell ships by Christmas. This would suggest the next update would have Broadwell CPU's. I'm not sure of apples turn around time after the new CPU's are available but it's safe to say there will be no update in 2014.

3. Lateraleye macrumors newbie

You should wait. The current GPU, the 750m, is only slightly better than the 650m which is getting long in the tooth and wasn't great to begin with. I assume you'll want to keep it a few years and you will definitely feel the performance pinch sooner rather than later. The 850m is out now and is probably the best candidate for the next refresh. And it's a big jump over the 750m in performance (and more power efficient too from what I hear).

I'm waiting too. I really want a portable gaming laptop and my Air doesn't cut it. I wouldn't expect the update until early 2015 at the earliest though, when the whole laptop line will get Broadwell processors.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'll eat quite a few hats if the MBP ever comes with the GTX series. With Apple's move towards thinness, better battery life and integrated graphics in the past few years, that just doesn't seem likely.

5. Fumetsu thread starter macrumors newbie

That doesn't sound very good... Hope you are wrong. ;)

6. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Apple has never come with an gtx level card for any of their macbooks (or even powerbooks?) right?

7. Lateraleye macrumors newbie

Couple things after doing a little bit of random research -

The highest current non-GTX card is the 840m which is a decent chunk worse than the 750m in the current models.

The 850m has the GTX label, but the wattage is virtually equal to the 750m.

I don't think they'll go weaker. And I don't think they'll use the 750m again because graphics improvement is always one of the standby talking points on a real hardware refresh and the target audience for the Pros will definitely take note.

Of course if they just decide to use Intel graphics across the whole line in the name of thinness, we're all screwed.

8. gochi macrumors 6502

they should come out with the 775m in the classic macbook pro instead.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Nope.