MBP with less speed but higher graphics?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chan2004, Aug 11, 2009.

1. chan2004 macrumors regular

Hello,

In apple's refurbished store, I saw a unibody MBP with 2.4GHz but with the two graphics card option.
    The price is exactly the same as for a new MBP with 2.53 GHz but with only one graphics card.

My question is
    1) According to previous threads, apple refurbished products are those for which some earlier defects were fixed and only that. Then, how come apple has a notebook with less procesor speed?

2) A user like me who always open multiple applications, how much will i notice the decrease in processor speed?

3) If i am right, the processor speed hasn't dramatically increased over the past few years for most users. So, apart from the speed, is there any other disadvantages?

Reason for looking for the additional graphics card is to play only one game in windows. nothing else.

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's the previous generation model with the removable battery and ExpressCard slot.

You're not going to notice 133 MHz vs. getting a 9600M GT.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Or returns. Refurbs are like new, individually tested. Some people say they are better. 2.4 model is previous gen model, that's why it has slower CPU.

2. It's 130MHz, you won't.

3. It has worse battery, but it's user replaceable. Apple now offers matte display as an option for 15" too, so if you like matte more, I would get one.

It's amazing deal though. Apple dropped 9600GT from low-end 15" so you would have to go for 2.66GHz model to get dedicated GPU and that costs 1999$

4. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It has only faster CPU, nothing more. If you're ready to pay for 400MHz, sure, but that ain't huge difference.

6. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, it is 300CHF less expensive:D

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can't be. 2.4GHz I found from your store is one with 128GB SSD, that's why it's more expensive. I couldn't find your 2.8GHx model, so I guess it's not available at the moment? 2.4GHz is 1349$ from US store with normal HD instead of SSD. SSDs are amazing though

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

So, couldn't he get the base 15" mbp and then buy an ssd?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Base 15" comes with 9400M and OP wants one with 9600GT. There's no 2.4GHz with HD available in OPs country's refurb store at the moment.

10. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Go for it-the graphics engine is worth it. Refurbs are great.