MBP with SSD and HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsaenz, Mar 31, 2011.

1. jsaenz macrumors newbie

I have already purchased the SSD and data doubler as well as a Scorpio Black 750g HDD. I will be using the MBP primarily for photos, Aperture/NIK/CS5.

The SSD will be used for the OS and apps while the HDD will be used for storage. Should I keep all images on the SSD while I am working on them and then move them manually to the HDD or would it make a difference in processing speed to transfer my home folder to the HDD and just work on my images from there?

I hope I explained that correctly...

-jesse

2. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Hey mate... Im on same boat as you. The way to go by it is to keep enough space on your ssd to work on the files. I guess they might end up taking some gigs.
    Then once you're done and have flattened it down, you can save it and copy it to your scorpio.
    In case we can actually use the speed up completely, the HDD would be a bottleneck when working straight on it.

So yes, you thought right :)

3. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

Save to your HDD.

focus on using your SSD for launching applications.

4. jsaenz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input!

The SSD is 120G so I'm not really worried about filling it all from one photo shoot. I have two 8G CF cards and two 4G CF cards which I've yet to use all on a project even when shooting 14bit.

I guess I'll just move the project to the HDD once I'm done with it. Even from the 7200RPM HDD, if I have to go back to it the lag time difference will be negligible.

I can also keep my portfolio in iPhoto on the SSD if I need the immediate access but I'm guessing the difference from the SSD to the HDD will be minimal.

Did I mention that I also have OWC's 8G of RAM? :D