MBP with SSD optibay slow booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by segers909, Dec 30, 2009.

1. segers909 macrumors regular

Hi
    So, i've got an optibay installed in my uMBP for about 3 months now. In the optibay I have a 60 GB SSD, from which i boot. My other harddrive contains my OS X home folder & a bootcamp partition. I really love my setup, it's perfect for my, until I saw a buddy in my class boot his MBP: after he pressed the button, it took about 2 sec to show the apple logo. He doesn't have a SSD, and the exact same machine, and yet me manages to boot faster then me. (We also both have 10.6). I searched about this problem, and the only thing i could find was to make sure that your OS X partition is set as boot drive. Here is a screenshot of my boot drive menu:

[​IMG]
    I found it strange that my bootcamp doesn't show up there. I always boot in bootcamp holding the alt key, not using this preference pane.

Here is a video of my macbook booting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWfSyVkG1I

I found this ting called rEFIt, would it help me?

Thank you!

2. McGilli macrumors 6502

Same as mine it seems. I have 2 SSD's in mine - as a Raid 0 - and mine is the same on booting.

If I stick just ONE SSD in the Primary slot (nothing in the multibay) then mine loads up fast like your friends.

For me - I only restart my MBP once every month or so for updates so it doesn't bother me.

3. segers909 thread starter macrumors regular

So you think the bios (sorry, used pc's for many many years) is bussy recognizing the second hard drive? Isn't there anything i can do about that?

4. segers909 thread starter macrumors regular

Bump

There has to be some EFI experts on these forums?

5. McGilli macrumors 6502

Ya - see I tried a few times. had 1 ssd in there. fast bootup. 27 seconds from power button press to desktop.

put 2 ssd's in. and it takes 54 seconds to boot.

took 1 out - 27 seconds again.

So - I just live with it.

6. segers909 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not the type of person who learns to live with that sort of things: if i want to play a game in bootcamp, i don't want to wait 10 seconds extra :)
    Is the apple EFI modifiable? Can you change settings?

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

no you cannot change efi settings,

you issue is in your partition mappings , destory them and start over, backup with time machine.

i have covered this in a extensive thread you can search mce optibay.

8. jmazzamj macrumors regular

Does the 2 HD configurations (OptyBay?) affects your battery life?

9. segers909 thread starter macrumors regular

Technically it does, but not by more then 2 min.

Thank you for that answer, but I cannot find the thread you refer too. Could you please point me to it?

Thanks!

10. segers909 thread starter macrumors regular

Small bump

I'd love a responce from MacModMachine :)

11. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

hrm, I have the same issue, except im not using an optibay adapter. its straight simple, SSD in normal HD bay. It takes me around 7-8 seconds after pressing the button for the screen to turn on.

any experts out there, help would be appreciated!
    btw, i have mbp unibody late 2008

12. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i tried searching in the thread too.. no luck :[. i looked up every post from MacMod but i couldn't find anything about destroying partition mapping.

13. stashmanguitar macrumors newbie

I just did the same upgrade to my A1211 MacBook Pro, and what I'm finding around the net is that some models use PATA connection for the Superdrive, and newer models having all-SATA connections. You can verify this by pulling up System Profiler and seeing if your SSD is listed in either "Serial ATA" or "ATA". Such is the case for me. I don't yet have a problem with the boot time, but am planning to switch out the SSD to the main HD location when I upgrade the HDD to a higher capacity.

14. barmann macrumors 6502

To my knowledge, all unibody MBPs have a SATA superdrive, all non-unibody IDE/PATA connectors for the optical drive.