MBP with superdrive or SSD - which one would you buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Jul 25, 2009.

?

MBP with Superdrive or SSD - which one would you buy?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2010.
  1. Superdrive as usual, can be used for reading and writing DVD's

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. SSD in place of superdrive, can be used as boot volume and for Apps. External superdrive.

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Let's say Apple came out with two options for the Macbook Pro.

1) current configuration, with HDD drive and superdrive.

2) replaced superdrive by a SSD that is used as the boot disk, keeping HDD in its usual place. The SSD is mostly for making the laptop faster, i.e. stores applications etc. Big files can be stored on the HDD. Superdrive comes as USB attachment. Probably $200 more than the superdrive option, depending on the size of the boot disk. Theoretically this would allow to make the MBPs thinner and lighter, but not as long as it's an option.

Which one would you buy?

2. adamk77 macrumors 6502

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you truly never think you will travel and need one then yeah. I mean basically what you're giving yourself is a slightly heavier Air. As an Air owner I can say I rarely travel with my SD.

4. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Of course one issue with offering the option is that an SSD is smaller than an optical drive, so it might be against Apple's design principles to offer it. My worry is that they'll wait one or two years before shifting the entire line over, and maybe offering one "Desktop replacement" alternative for those who still need a portable DVD or Blue Ray drive.

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I would have voted for a superdrive, but, assuming there would not be a big price difference, I voted for the SSD and the external superdrive. I only use the superdrive to watch movies. It's small and I can bring it everywhere with me. The SSD would definitely be worth it. Apps would boot super fast, woohoo! In the future, though, I would just have a main SSD and a Superdrive.