MBP with two SSD's - which drive should have what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wildatheart, Sep 19, 2015.

1. wildatheart macrumors member

wildatheart

I have an early ’11 17″MBP with an OWC Data Doubler and 960GB Mercury Electra SSD in my optical bay, as well as a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro in my main bay. This has been very reliable, but I’m wondering if my setup optimizes performance, or not.

I use Lightroom and Photoshop on a daily basis, and, due to the 3G/6G speed difference of the two drives, have put my OSX system (and applications) folder on a 100GB partition on the 6G Samsung, with a 2nd partition of that drive dedicated to my Lightroom catalogs and files. The other 3G drive in my optibay has my ‘home’ folder on it – about 700gb worth. I wondered if this is the smartest setup? I am keen to keep my work on a separate partition (this makes backing up via Superduper easiest) and I like having my home folder on a dedicated partition too, as I have found this the easiest way to switch between my life on the road, and, my desktop mac at home; when I get home, I Superduper my home folder to the home partition on my Mac Pro, and I can take up where I left on my laptop. I’m wondering whether I might be better having system and home partition on the optibay, despite this being 3G and the main 6G drive dedicated to work/scratch space; would this improve performance (Not that it’s sluggish right now, but still..)?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Your current setup sounds best with OSX and LR/PP on the fastest drive. I have a similar setup except my 2nd drive is an HDD.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yes, having your work on the faster drive will be faster.

Which is why i find it hilarious that some people recommend buying a small SSD for the OS and sticking all their data on a spinner. If all you care about is boot time maybe...

4. c8rlo, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

i was considering doing this to my MBP, the common thing i read researching was that you ideally put your bootable drive in the main bay.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Mine is in the optical bay, both get SATA3 speeds on mine and this has the advantage that the HDD gets sudden motion protection in the standard drive bay.