MBP with Windows Only

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aerodoc, Aug 30, 2010.

1. aerodoc macrumors member

I am interested in a MBP, but will only run windows. It is for business and doesn't need top of the line performance (i.e. gaming).

The reason I am considering a MBP is the form factor, specifically the trackpad and keyboard. My question is, before I am spend 2.5k on one, are there other options to consider? After looking at Windows machines, I didn't see one that felt right and had a high enough quality trackpad and keyboard. Even though the cost is a lot higher and it is overkill, form factor is tremendously important to me and I am willing sacrifice other aspects.

Any thoughts on this? I am very early on in my laptop search, but would like to get something quickly as well.

2. snouter macrumors 6502a

edit: whoops, thought this was the MacBook Pro forum.

hmm, your question is about the MBP though...

I would not do it if only because the power management and cooling do not seem to work as well under Windows.

There are some nice Windows laptops out there, but you do have to look for them... maybe consider the 15" HP envy?

3. sboerup macrumors 6502

Only reason to want a Mac (for windows only) is purely for aesthetics in my opinion. It's no lie, people like the look of Apple products and that's one reason to get a Mac. But be warned, the curiosity of using osx will bite you and you'll be converted, it's a good thing.

But in seriousness, win7 is a good OS, no other laptops are pretty if you ask me (if this is what you mean by form factor because there are plenty of cheaper 13" thin notebooks).

4. snouter macrumors 6502a

Some of the Sony laptops look ok.

And, yeah, honestly, I do like OS X, but I really like Windows 7 too.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The trackpad is a work of art in OS X, but in Windows, it is an entirely different story. It just does not work well with any version of windows. It's jerky, doesn't scroll right, the tap to click is way oversensitive, and sometimes it doesn't respond to physical clicks. So just about any trackpad on a windows machine will be better. The keyboard is nice to type on, but again, in windows it is a pain, due to it being a mac keyboard, the control key is very small and the prominent command keys do nothing more than the windows key does on a standard keyboard. Just a couple thoughts from someone who has a good amount of experience with a mac and running windows.

I think you would be far happier with a machine built to run windows, perhaps look into HP or the Sony Vaio series, those are pretty nice.

6. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

Ooops: I messed up and got this in the wrong forum!

Good comments and that is why I asked. I am concerned about aesthetics, but I really want something that has a good keyboard and trackpad. This is by far my highest priority. But this is usually not such a high priority on windows machines.

But in the end, if the MBP doesn't deliver on the windows side, then there is no point. I am intrigued by OSX, but the problem is that the main software I am running only runs on windows. It might be neat to bounce back and forth since it is capable of that, but I will take a performance hit then and that is low priority for a business machine.

But glad I asked here before I dove right (which is tempting).

7. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

HP Envy 14:

Backlit keyboard
    Island style Keyboard
    Large multitouch trackpad (Will discuss more later)
    Core series processors
    Edge to Edge Radiance Display (Super glossy though and they raised the price for it)
    1GB ATI 5650 graphics card with switchable graphics

Trackpad on MBP feels nicer and glides better.
    The stock synaptics driver software on Envy isnt great. Using a program by Reil on Notebookreview.com it makes the scrolling smoother and adds smoother 2 finger scrolling and 2&3finger tapping. Its really good, though still not perfect. You really need to get used to tapping for everything and not clicking for it to be good IMO.

Battery is 4.5hours realistic in my experiences which is shorter than MBP.

I say give the Envy 14 a try. You have 21 days to return no hassle. When you get it, I would do a "Minimized Image Recovery" to remove the bloat and then put on Reil's trackpad program and see if it fits you.

8. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

FYI: Before you do anything with an HP, remove the S-bloat SW.

Comment which should be ignored if you plan on buying an HP: I'll NEVER buy another HP after dealing with the crap bloat on my last HP laptop. It was the reason I tried an Apple.

cheers
    JohnG

9. snouter macrumors 6502a

HP will sell the OS recovery DVD for $20.

That way you can do a clean install of the OS.

I clean install all my bought computers, even Mac, but especially Windows.

10. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

I think I mentioned that
    Just download a Win7 disc (its legal) and reinstall using original activation. No need to pay anything. Or like I said, you can do the Minimized Image Recovery which reformats and only installs drivers and most basic programs. No bloatware.

11. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

I saw the Envy while shopping around today. The aesthetic quality was not so hot, though I suppose it could be acceptable. Being a work computer, I really want something that I enjoy "opening" up and aesthetics are part of that.

I don't care for all of these glossy screens and was going to get the anti-glare option if I go MBP. Sure I can add an anti-glare protector, but then it starts to really look "ugly". Not exactly the way you want to spend your day when you are trying to get work done.

I suppose of the reasons I like the MBP is the fit and finish. The more I think about it, I don't mind spending the extra cash if it can deliver this better than the rest. But I am pretty concerned about the comments about the trackpad windows performance. That was very disappointing to hear.

12. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Im not sure how you saw it shopping around since as far as I know its not in any stores, but what about the aesthetics doesnt appeal to you?

IMO it looks good and is built solid.

13. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm...well I saw something that looked a lot like it at Fry's. They carry more selection than typical electronics store so maybe? (www.frys.com has it)

14. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Fry's ========> :(