MBP won't boot after latest update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cams, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Cams macrumors regular

I got a software update on my Snowleopard 2011 MBP today. So I did the install and, at reboot, I get the grey bar and spinning wheel. It installs so far, then the grey bar starts again. Then it gets so far, and then the machine switches itself off. Each time I switch it on, the same thing happens.

I think the update mentioned something about the Thunderbolt port. Now I can't boot. Help please!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

That bar is the firmware update progress. You didn't turn it off while that was running, did you??

3. Cams thread starter macrumors regular

No, it ran for a bit then just went dead. I just called Apple - thankfully I'm still in the 90-day Window. They had me put the DVD in the drive and boot to that, at which point I got three beeps, then three more, and so on. The Apple guy said it didn't sound good, that three evenly spaced beeps could point to a memory problem and I should book it in to the Genius Bar. So I'm having to take a day trip to the mainland on Sunday to visit the Apple Store in Glasgow.

Thankfully I use Dropbox for my data and my old white MacBook is still running, so there won't be any downtime.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Cams, this is slightly off-topic, but the first (and last) time I went to Arran I was challenged to a fight, by people I didn't know, who told me that they heard that "I wanted to batter them"

That was an exciting day.