Resolved MBP won't boot, pass POST

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Astroboy907, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Astroboy907, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

So I was replacing a machines LVDS cable, stupid me, when replacing the screen, took out the stupid LVDS with the cable connected. :rolleyes: Because of this, my backlight fuse burned out (well, not actually 100% burned, but showed some kilo ohms of resistance...

So, after spending a good two hours disassembling, reassembling, and soldering, I have everything back together. Got my new cable, connected it to a screen, turned it on, and nothing. Crap. My fans spin, my HDD gears up, and the sleep light is on, but to no avail, it wont start. I've tried SMC resets, PRAM resets, SMC bypasses, the whole shebang. Nothing helps. Upon googling, it seems that the Macbook is not passing the POST test. Why? This was a perfectly working machine beforehand!
    However, while trying all these tests I got it to "boot" once. Still no backlight though, but the new fuse didn't burn out. Ugh. Pretty mad at it/me right now.

Took it apart again, checked everything but the dies under the heatsink, no corrosion in sight, and tried again. Nothing. The only thing I can think of is that I am booting without an iSight/wifi cable attached but that shouldn't matter, right? Edit: just FYI the keyboard backlight is out too but it worked fine before with that dead...

What should I do?? I really need this machine working. Should I soak the board in 90% isopropyl alcohol overnight and see what happens?

2. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Washed in alcohol, tried to boot and it worked. Got stuck with a semi-corrupted boot drive so that may have been a problem... Fixed! Still no backlight but I'm using it as a desktop replacement ATM anyway.