MBP won't boot without OS x installation Disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kj101, Jan 24, 2015.

1. kj101 macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2015
    My Macbook pro (2010 late) refuses to start up without the Lion Os x installation disk, as of yesterday. Before that it was working fine but started REALLY lagging, even just on 2 tabs. Now If I try to turn it on with no disk it give me the file/question mark symbol, occasionally followed by the circle symbol with a line through it. It can stay like this until the battery dies.

When I pop in the OS x install disk (from the original box), I head to the Utility's and it picks up the hard drive (HD Macintosh, 68.3 gigabytes available, 250gb total, etc.) I run the verify & repair and it tells me the issue is repaired but the Macbook still won't start up without the install disk in. I can't do anything but go to the same page on every restart. I also wanted to note that I can see the contents of the hard drive through Utility's on the os x disk and all my files/music/photos names are there just not clickable. The Hard drive can be seen about 8/10 times I restart the macbook, sometimes it's missing from the utility screen (only acknowledges disk inside computer).

Now, when the hard drive is acknowledged and I press continue on the OS x installation, it gives a yellow exclamation mark on the Hard Drive as a source to download the os too. It says it can't be downloaded to this source.
    If I erase the Hard Drive from utility and go back to the main Lion OSx install screen, will this solve my problem? I don't have back ups of what was on my computer but It was really just music off the internet / some old papers etc. I wouldn't really miss it that bad but I really miss using my macbook
  2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2014
    Not sure where i am
    Go to apple store, and try to back up your mac before you go. I think you may need to reset and re-image your mac