MBP won't connect to wifi (WEP) network but iPhone will?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EnglishMacGuy, Oct 14, 2008.

1. EnglishMacGuy macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have a MBP, until now I have never had any connectivity problems. I have just moved in with a friend who has a netgear router (WEP). My MBP recgnises the network name (it shows up in the list of available networks) when I click it I am asked for the WEP password, but when I type it in i get a message saying "There was an error joining the AirPort network "network x"."

I used exactly the same WEP password with my iPhone, which connects perfectly every time I am in the house. I have checked all obvious problems, including whether I have typed in the password correctly etc etc.

Given that my iPhone connects without a problem, I am guessing that this is a problem with my MBP???

Have any of you guys come across this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you for your time,

EnglishMacGuy

2. Phenobarbital4U macrumors newbie

i totally have this problem too. Still havent fixed it. Trying to surf the web while internet goes in and out is REALLY frustrating :mad:

3. EnglishMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone???

Does any one have any suggestions? This is driving me crazy!

Could there be something i'm missing?? Right password.... works with other devices and other wifi base stations, but not this one?

Any comments / advice gratefully received!

EMG

4. EnglishMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your post! I know how frustrated you must feel. If you find out how to fix this problem.... PLEASE let me know before i go insane! LOL

EMG

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you can, you REALLY want to switch that network to WPA or WPA2 - not only is it MUCH more secure but the passphrases are much shorter.

6. EnglishMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks....

Thanks for that suggestion, much appreciated, i'll give it a shot!