MBP won't let me save to desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by izzey, May 2, 2011.

1. izzey macrumors newbie

I recently bought my first Mac and am stil trying to figure everything out. I haven't had any problem so far besides that MBP won't let me save anything to desktop saying that I don't have the authority to do so. I was able to install software as long as I enter password to authorize, but this is the only thing that the mac does not let me do. I've asked my friends who are Mac users but they never had that problem to start with. Please help!

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Sounds like you're using a User account and don't have read/write privileges for your own Desktop. Right-click (control + click) on an empty space on your Desktop and then click on Get Info.

A tall window pops up. You will probably need to unlock it to make changes to the Sharing & Permissions area at the bottom of the window. You do this by clicking on the button on the bottom right that looks like a padlock. It will be unlocked when the padlock looks like it's unlocked. The image I've attached shows it in the locked position.

After that, you will need to find your username. Typically indicated with a (Me) next to it.

Then you will need to click on the drop-down list to the right of your user name and give yourself "Read & Write" privileges.

Afterwards you can lock the window and then close it. You should now be able to save to your Desktop.

Attached Files:

3. izzey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks deadwulfe! I can read and write but the desktop was locked for some reason. This completely solved it! I'm such a noob at mac :")