MBP won't play NIN-Year Zero CD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erictheninja, Apr 28, 2007.

1. erictheninja macrumors newbie

Would anyone have any suggestions on some things I could try to get the new Nine Inch Nails cd, Year Zero, to play on my 15" MacBook Pro core duo.

Initially, the dvd drive would just spin the disk and then spit it out. I got the disk to finally read (perhaps by luck), but it would take iTunes a long time to read it. Importing or playing the cd won't work in iTunes. Copying the files directly off the cd won't work. I always end up restarting.

So far, I've tried other, relatively new audio cds and they work fine. I've done a permission repair on my hard drive in case something odd was causing the problem, but no luck. The disk reads and plays fine in my PC and Google's offered no answers. I'm pretty much stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

2.16 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro, 2 gigs RAM, OS X 10.4.9. I'm running the CD on an administrative privileged account.

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I would try to make a new account and see if it works on that one before going any further.

3. Episteme macrumors regular

That CD is copy protected. I'd assume that's the cause of the problem.

Edit: Ignore me, I misread the list I looked at.

Hm.

At least some copies have a "heat sensitive" coating tho... Check this out.

4. erictheninja thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried it, but I ended up with the same issue.

Yeah, I checked that before I bought the cd:) I actually bought the CD b/c of the heat change and b/c Trent Reznor released a bunch of the tracks in GarageBand format to the public. I'll gladly support stuff like that.

If anyone has the CD and can verify that it will play on a MBP, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll have to try to exchange it at Newbury Comics tomorrow.

5. RaMaz macrumors regular

RaMaz

that is so cool, Linkin Park should do that to there "Minutes To Midnight" CD and DVD, wait, maybe they already did :D :D :D

6. Episteme macrumors regular

Sounds like a neat disk. I'll have to ask around if anyone I know has it, 'cause I don't really like NIN, but I wouldn't mind seeing the disc :)

7. Karnifax macrumors newbie

I have a MBP and bought the NIN Year Zero CD at Target the day it came out. I didn't really have a problem importing the music.

My Process:
    1.Insert CD
    2.Opens in iTunes
    3.Make Playlist "NIN Year Zero"
    4.Select all music on CD playlist
    5.Drag onto the "NIN Year Zero"
    7.Do you want to Import?
    8.Yes.

Thats all I did...no problem. Hope this helps.

8. erictheninja thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a huge help. I just exchanged the CD, but the new one still won't read. Anyone have any other ideas?

9. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can say I had no problems importing the heat sensitive version of Year Zero on my MacBook.

10. dillacom macrumors regular