MBP won't read new HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coachingguy, Nov 17, 2009.

1. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Okay, here's the story. I bought a WD Black 320, 7200 replacement drive for my 2.5 MBP. I took the old one out, no problem and installed in my wife's white MB. I then installed the new HD. When I rebooted to SL and opened Disk Utilities to format the drive, it wasn't "seen". :(

I opened up the MBP again, checked all the connections, which I ultimately ended up doing like 3 times, but can't seem to get a tight connection to the HD. Any Suggestions? Please?

Thanks in advance!

Coachingguy

2. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I have no idea what's specifically wrong with your drive, but my usual drive replacement routine is to connect the new drive to my computer (either using an external enclosure or a USB->SATA connector), clone my current drive to the new drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper, then reboot, specifying the new drive as the target volume. If that works, then I can safely install the new drive in my machine.

I would try putting the new drive in an external enclosure and connecting it to your wife's machine. If it doesn't mount, then I'd talk to the drive vendor about an exchange/next steps.

3. coachingguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Hmm... That's very interesting. The MBP is at work, waiting for our IT guy to take a quick look. I'll forward him the pram thing.

I was able to install the new drive in a portable drive enclosure I had laying around. I had to make sure it was good and firmly attached but my iMac could read it. So I formatted it and tried putting it back in the MBP, no joy!

We'll keep playing with it. I bought the WD black because it had been highly rated and well reviewed. I was excited by increasing my HD space by over a third and getting a significant speed boost! I ordered from Newegg, so if there continues to be a problem, I hope I can return it. If not, into my wife's white MB it'll go; not that she needs the extra space or speed boost... ;)

Thanks for the assist!

Coachingguy