MBP wont recognize external hd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigMoo, Jan 28, 2011.

1. BigMoo macrumors member

I've had my MBP since november and it has read my external hard drive just fine. Today i tried plugging it in and i guess it wont read it. I checked in disk utility and it shows up there, but when i verify it, it says that i need to run the repair disk and try again. After i ran the repair disk, it said that i had to back up my files and erase everything and format it. Does this mean that my external hd is bad or im losing everything that's on it now or is there a way i can recover everything?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Chances are your HDD is going bad. I would try on a different computer. If you get some sort of error message, then for sure it's going bad. If it doesn't, it could still be going bad or you could look at other possible reasons.

3. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

If it doesnt work on a different computer then thats definitely a bad sign. But all is not lost there are still ways to recover the information.

4. BigMoo thread starter macrumors member

I tried it on another computer and the same result. Man i have a feeling im gonna have a fun time getting 115GB of music back.