MBP won't restart?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oYx, Nov 23, 2007.

1. oYx macrumors regular

during the past two days, i noticed that my MBP won't restart. after mac os x wipes everything off the screen, i'm left staring at a black screen with the standby light (latch button) on.

i had to hold down the power button to shut it off, before turning it back on.

however, restarting the laptop from the windows xp (boot camp) partition works fine, so i am suspecting it's a software thing on the mac os x side.

anybody has the same problem and managed to resolve it?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well, you can try the basic fixes, repair permissions in the disk utility, and reset the PRAM (google: Resetting PRAM)

thats at least worth a shot

3. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

is resetting the PRAM a more drastic measure than repairing permissions?

i thought the repair was a more drastic one, so i went to reset the PRAM first. that did not solve anything.

went on to repair the permissions, and it restarted, only to be stuck at the grey apple logo screen. force shut it down, unplugged one of my bus-powered firewire device and tried the repair again.

restarted and everything works as per normal again.

i'm only about 5 days into owning a mac (used them for work before though), and i'm still learning. :)

4. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

turns out it was DoubleCommand causing it. uninstalled it and had no problems since then.