MBP won't shut down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Drive4show, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Drive4show macrumors newbie

Strange one.... I can't shut down my MacBook Pro .... it tells me the "Finder timed out" and then nothing. Can't restart , nothing to force quit. Computer still works ... just open up the finder again. But I'd really like to install updates , and it won't let me because it won't restart.:(

Any ideas ?

G

2. friedymeister69 macrumors member

If nothing else works, you can just hold down the power button for a few seconds; that will definitely shut the machine down.

3. Drive4show thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't even do that for the first few times I tried it. Finally worked on the 4th try , and everything's working fine now. Just an odd one , I guess.

Thanks for the info.

G

4. brandon.vong macrumors regular

Along the same lines... but is it just my MBP or does it take awhile for the hard drive to stop after its been put to sleep? I just noticed that whenever I close the lid, it goes to sleep but the hard drive is still running... for maybe like 10 secs afterwards before it stops. Is this normal?

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

That is completely normal. The RAM contents are being copied to the hard drive's sleep image.

6. brandon.vong macrumors regular

Did this happen back with the G4s as well? My G4 never took that long for the hard drive to stop.