Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Hey all,

Annoying problem that's costing me my battery: When my MBP is plugged into the AC Adapter, it refuses to sleep automatically according to the settings in Energy Saver. I can sleep it manually just fine (ie Apple-->Sleep). However, I usually have it on the "Normal" setting which sets the sleep when idle time to 10 minutes. It doesn't do that, it just keeps right on running. So then I tried doing a custom setting, reducing it to 1 minute. I also restarted (and didn't open any programs) and unplugged all peripherals just to be sure. It didn't make a difference. Also, I repaired permissions, verified my disk, reset the PRAM and SMC. That covers anything I can think of. Any ideas? It's an MBP 2.4 ghz. Running 10.4.10, fully updated. And it sleeps automatically just fine when I am running on battery.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Did you try disconnecting from your network before too?

I did. I'm usually on a wired network so the time that I tried without anything (including the ethernet cable) plugged in should have sufficed.

Using a bluetooth keyboard/mouse with it?

Yes and no. From time to time, I use a bluetooth mighty mouse (for games or projects where I'm doing a lot of work with the mouse). However, when I was trying to solve this problem, the mouse was turned off and was not in use.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I also tried making a new account and the problems persisted there.
Also, it is doing the same thing now whether on battery or AC power.

wildthing1994

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2007
I think this may solve your problem. First open the energy saver,second go to settings for ac power adaptor, third chose an optimation, fourth uncheck the wake option for the wake option. Than try and see if that worked for you.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
From time to time, I use a bluetooth mighty mouse (for games or projects where I'm doing a lot of work with the mouse). However, when I was trying to solve this problem, the mouse was turned off and was not in use.

I had similar issues and it WAS indeed the bluetooth mightymouse. The solution was to turn off the third option. Uncheck "allow bluethooth devices to wake up the computer" *) in the bluetooth preferences. I did not help to turn off the mouse itself.

*) Sorry I don't know the exact words because I am using a German-language OS X.

JeffL22

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
I had the same problem...

However, I talked with Applecare on the phone for HOURS about it. They tried every single reset/setting/test imaginable. Finally, they recommended I reinstall Snow Leopard, which I blamed for the issue as it slept fine before the "upgrade". Well...I'm not going to do that. So, I suggest you call Apple and give them hell about it. They claimed to have never heard of the problem before....just like when my same Mac didn't wake from sleep two years earlier...they never heard of that either even though thousands of others were complaining about it online...then magically, an update fixed it one day. So, keep hammering on Apple...they know about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.