MBP won't sleep when I close the lid.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
I'll come back to it a while later, and it'll still be warm/hot and when I open it the screen will already be on instead of coming on after I open the lid.

I've tried reseting the PMU, but don't really know what else to do.

Any ideas?

Thanks

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Are any bluetooth devices connected to your computer?
I have the magic mouse and my MBP never sleeps. Having a bluetooth device never cause any issues before. started after the last lion update. I even go the apple and choose sleep and it doesnt sleep when plugged in. Only sleeps when I have it running off battery.

jcrandall23

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Will it sleep from software input? Like selecting sleep now in the Apple drop down menu or the menu you get when you press the power button? Also, Shift-Option-Eject will send it to sleep as well.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I'll come back to it a while later, and it'll still be warm/hot and when I open it the screen will already be on instead of coming on after I open the lid.

I've tried reseting the PMU, but don't really know what else to do.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I believe your MBP is afraid of sleeping because it knows it will not wake up next time you open it.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Will it sleep from software input? Like selecting sleep now in the Apple drop down menu or the menu you get when you press the power button? Also, Shift-Option-Eject will send it to sleep as well.
Yes, that appears to work fine. As far as I can tell anyway.

jcrandall23

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Try placing a magnet on the case right around the headphone jack and see if that puts it to sleep. That's where the sleep sensor / reed switch is located.

jcrandall23

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
On the top of the case, just to the left of the "Fn" key. Also, do your battery status lights light up when the button on the side of the case is pressed? The sleep sensor is on the same little card as those LEDs.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Yes, that did make it go to sleep.... sort of.

I sat there with the magnet on and the lid up, and though it appeared to be sleeping (screen and keyboard backlighting was off) the fans continued to cycle on and off. Apparently indefinitely.

:confused::confused:

So what the heck does that mean?

I also noticed that if I unplug/plug the power cable while the lid is shut the fans will do the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.