MBP won't start, black screen, no chime, keyboard unresponsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kirbypucket, Apr 20, 2010.

1. kirbypucket macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a MacBook Pro from December 2007. Currently, when I push the power button to start it up, it makes the initial sound (although sometimes this initial sound is abbreviated, like it's cut off mid sound) but it never sounds the follow-up majestic-type chime. Also, the screen remains black, and the keyboard is unresponsive (The Caps doesn't light up, for instance). The light on the front comes on faintly, but does not blink as in sleep mode. And the fan comes on as well, again faintly, not as in overdrive.

And I'm assuming this next part is coincidental but I'll relay it anyway: The first hiccup with this was yesterday when, in sleep mode, I pushed the front release button to open the MCP and then immediately afterward accidentally closed it again. Upon opening it for the second time the screen remained black. I manually shut it down holding the power button. After two or three times of turning it on and off manually, the majestic chime thing finally sounded and it booted properly. It worked fine then throughout the rest of the day when I would come back to it until last night when it failed again.

I've tried all this stuff: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365?viewlocale=en_US

Should I just bring it in to Mac or what do you think?
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member