MBP won't start or turn off...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheAmazingGob, Aug 31, 2008.

1. TheAmazingGob macrumors newbie

So, I left my MBP on and went out for a while and then came back and the screen was black, the sleep light was on (not pulsing), and the computer was unresponsive. I held down the power button and the computer briefly shut off, but the sleep light came right back on again. It sounds like the hard drive is spinning, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything else. The cd drive won't accept discs. The only way I can get it to turn all the way off is to unplug the computer and take out the battery. I've tried everything that the apple website suggests for a computer that won't turn on, but nothing works.

Any suggestions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds, it will power off. Then you can power it back on.

3. TheAmazingGob thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, that was the first thing I tried. It powers off for a second and then comes back on and does the same thing it was doing before.

4. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

Take out battery, put it back in....

If it doesn't power on, how do you know it won't turn off?.... LAWL, JK

5. TheAmazingGob thread starter macrumors newbie

To be clear, I'm not turning it back on. When I power it down, it comes back on by itself.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

Lol, I know. I just thought it was funny... apparently others didn't. Anyway, ...

8. nightelf macrumors 6502

I have the similar problem.

Last night my MBP 2.2 was working perfectly. Today, the display wont turn on, the sleep light was on, but I could force shutdown.

I tried connecting it to an external display and nothing, but it would mount as Firewire target mode. PRAM and Power Management nothing. :(

My local Apple Authorized Tech Support said it was probably the motherboard.