MBP won't start up after external display connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ishopukisfake, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

Hello serious problem here with my MacBook pro if there are any experts or people in the know I would appreciate some advice.

I recently connected the MacBook pro to a new samnsung touch screen monitor via dvi to hdmi, everything seemed to be working fine until I shut down and then tried to restart the next day.

Now the MacBook won't start up, not even getting a gray or blue screen. The power and fans just seem to run for a few seconds then it cuts out dead. If I long hold the power button it seems to run a bit longer but then fizzles out.

I have tried disconnecting all peripherals, disconnecting power, removing battery, long hold shut down in attempt to reset pram, even changed memory and reinstalled it but still the same problem

If anyone has experience of this problem or has any suggestions of some kind of internal reset button I would really appreciate it thanks.

2. Reapur macrumors regular

HIGHLY doubt connecting it to the display has anything to do with the computer not booting. It is just a poorly timed coincidence.

Guessing you have an older MBP since you said you removed the battery?

Listing your machines specs would also be helpful in getting you assistance.

3. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

Update

The standard stock ideas are useless as the computer isnt even getting a screen colour or is it reaching the chime.

I have basically tried everything.

On one button press it makes a fan noise for a few seconds then cuts dead, on long hold press it makes a sound for longer but doesn't reach the chime, then the sleep light starts flickering and power cuts off.
    I tried starting it without the ram in and it seems to spin and run but there is a loud beep sound every few seconds.

It is a 17 inch - I have a feeling the hard drive has gone.

This same issue happened a few years ago with an imac I had, and if I remember it was right after I had connected it to another samsung display.

It may be a coincidence but I think it is related to the display, possibly some kind of power surge maybe from the monitor which has fried the hard drive or connection maybe.

I think my future computers will be pc.