MBP - Won't start up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueMoon3000, Jan 3, 2010.

1. BlueMoon3000 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Having some trouble w/ my 2008 Core 2 Duo MBP, and I plan on taking into the Apple store, but I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has any idea what the problem might be related to. At least if I could get it started up would be nice to backup important files.

Anyways, a couple months ago, the graphics on my MacBook would lock up occasionally forcing me to restart (holding down the power button till it shut off). This wasn't too often, and usually happened when I was running a lot of things at once - running video games and watching a movie at the same time, etc. A few days ago I had it lock up, but when I went to restart nothing came on.

I could hear the usual start up sounds, but nothing showed up on the screen. I use an external monitor, so I don't think the problem has to do with the display itself. Anyways, after letting it cool off for a bit, I tried to turn it back on and everything appeared to be working again. It worked fine for the rest of the day, but when I got up today and tried to use it, it again didn't start up. Today, I've tried multiple times and I just can't get it to start up.

I have dropped it a couple times, so I don't know if that might have been the cause of the problem, but its been a while since I dropped it.

Any idea what type of problem this might be, and anyway I can at least get it started up again?

Thanks!

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Is your external monitor still working while the MacBook Pro's display remains black? If so, it's probably a graphic chip/card failure.

3. BlueMoon3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

My external monitor works when hooked up to another computer (my old windows PC), but not when hooked up to the MacBook. If it is a graphics card failure that shouldn't be too expensive to get replaced, should it?

I, stupidly, never extended AppleCare, so I'm gonna have to pay up if that's the case.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I believe that in either case chip/card they're integrated into the logic board and would involve a logic board replacement, which is quite expensive.

Here's something you can try:

:apple: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

5. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

If the display won't start, but an external monitor works, then the problem could simply be your LCD. Its backlight might have bitten the dust.

I assume that this is a Santa Rosa/ non-unibody Penryn MBP with the 8600m GT, which is known to faulty. You might be able to get the motherboard replaced for free.

The graphics card is integrated onto the motherboard and cannot be replaced. Since the GPU is still outputting video to an external monitor, then your internal LCD might be dead as well.

I would actually hope for a broken 8600m because Apple will replace that.