MBP won't start

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by giganten, May 3, 2008.

1. giganten macrumors 6502a

I got some update from apple yesterday I think it was with some java or something. Did install it but got some problems, don't know if it is the update or not.

I cant start my MBP with something in the usb ports, only get a grey screen. Anyone know what I should do?

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

It might possibly be trying to read the USB drives for booting.

try going into System Preferences > Startup Disk > [highlight/reselect your startup disk]

and reboot.

then try PRAM reset if the above doesnt work.

3. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. nikiski macrumors regular

This is quite common from what I know. I have a Huawei E270 (HSDPA modem) that also mounts itself as a CD-ROM drive on Windows. It doesn't matter if I plug it into a PC or Mac and then turn the machine on, the computer will always seem to get stuck during boot.

From my investigation though, it is not really stuck. You'll just have to wait like 5 minutes or so. Thus, in short, don't plug in anything during boot.

5. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problems started today. It worked before, no problems.

6. nikiski macrumors regular

Then... let's see. Did you try waiting a little longer to see if it's stuck or just taking a while?

Do you recall installing anything prior to this? I am aware that you have installed the Java update but that shouldn't matter. Heck, it didn't even require a restart.

7. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

know of someone whose iMac was acting similarly after the Java Update.

8. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, did he solve the problem? Or do I have to wait for some new update from apple?