MBP won't stay asleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by westhenoose, Aug 30, 2011.

1. westhenoose macrumors newbie

I have the last generation MBP, which I bought right after it came out in late March. Just recently, the computer has begun to not stay asleep with the display open or closed. Regardless of whether I command it to go to sleep or if it automatically goes to sleep due to inactivity, within 10 seconds of it entering sleep mode, it will wake up. I have tried resetting the system management controller (SMC) to no avail. Please help!

2. ATC macrumors 6502a

I just had the very same issue the OP described but it was on my iMac. Tried everything short of reinstalling Lion (PRAM resets, trying to isolate software etc...) and nothing fixed it.

Called AppleCare two days ago and after a lengthy diagnostic session, it turned out to be the Keyboard (the wired extended-length KB that came with my iMac). Apparently a button on that KB was intermittently causing an input waking the machine from Sleep. Sometimes it would go into sleep for 5 minsutes but most times it would instantly (within 5 sec) wake up after a forced Sleep. They replaced the KB and the problem is now gone.

So there is a chance that your KB might be the cause in which case you'd need to send it or take it in.

3. westhenoose, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

westhenoose thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it out! It turns out my problem was similar to yours. After I wrote this post yesterday, I tried unplugging different combinations of my USB peripherals to see if that would cause it to stay asleep and discovered it was my Kensington Ci70 wireless mouse that was causing the problem! Puzzled by this fact as I have been using it with my MBP since I bought the computer with no problems whatsoever, I tried changing the batteries and for some reason...it's fixed!! Goes to sleep and stays asleep-everything normal. Now someone explain that one! The batteries I was using are the ones I almost always use with it, standard Duracell AAs, nothing cheap or generic. :confused:

4. theruzz macrumors newbie

Sometimes it's something very simple

I had the same problem - would put my MBP to sleep and about 5 seconds later it would wake up again. Read a bunch of forums about the problem - nothing helped. Then I noticed that my mouse was jammed next to my keyboard (I use a track ball) and that one the buttons was continually depressed. I moved my track ball mouse away from the keyboard - problem solved!