MBP - won't turn back on after hard reboot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vuel Egham, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Vuel Egham macrumors newbie

I was deleting a BUNCH of old emails out of entourage from my work. Apparently my MBP didn't like that as it was very slow. Eventually it went to sleep and wouldn't wake up.

I eventually did a hard manual shut off. But now when I hit power, the light on the front turns on, and it makes the wind up sound, but then nothing: screen remains blank, and I can't get the machine to do anything.

Any thoughts? I've tried removing the battery, I've manual rebooted several times. It is plugged in an charged. But the screen won't come back to life.

Help please if you can.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

tried resetting the PRAM? (google: resetting PRAM)

3. Vuel Egham thread starter macrumors newbie

That didn't work either. I can't even get the machine to boot up. It makes the noise like it is coming out of being asleep. But then the screen stays blank. It does this when I restart too, so it won't even boot up.

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Is the machine still covered under AppleCare?

5. Vuel Egham thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it to a local Mac shop (Simply Mac), and they discovered the problem:

The lower RAM slot went bad. Once they pulled out that RAM card, the machine booted right up. To replace that slot is around $1,200—so I am going to pull the 1GB card that is left and replace with a 2GB card.

This is my work machine, so my work owns it and I won't be spending the money to fix it myself. I'll have to let my IT department decide if it is worth it to a) replace that bad slot, b) buy an all new machine ($800 more for a brand new MBP) or c) do nothing.

I use a MacPro tower at work, this is just for working at home and travel, so it isn't the end of the world if I don't fix it right now. Good news is that my hard drive is still intact with all of my files and applications. My personal/home MacPro HD crashed 2 weeks ago, so I have been panicking, bad timing to say the least.

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

:eek: