MBP won't turn off, and some shortcuts aren't working? Whattt D:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaitlynv, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Kaitlynv macrumors newbie

Yesterday I couldn't hit command+p to print a document from Word. I figured it was because my version of word is from 2004 and I had recently updated my Mac.

Now I can't use the f7 to f12 keys (previous track, play/pause, volume control, etc) or the brightness keys for screen brightness OR for the keyboard lights. F3 and F4 still work perfectly, somehow.

And now I can't shut down my Mac! The power button itself won't prompt the shut down menu, and even when I hold it down for more than enough time to auto shut down it will not shut down. The button isn't jammed or anything. I bought my Mac about 6-7 months ago, in August-ish and I've never spilled on it or gotten stuff in the keyboard.

I can't even turn it off by clicking the apple in the top-left corner and clicking shut down. The menu never comes up.

I'm kind of worried. D:
    Do you have any idea of what's wrong?!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard, do you have this checked?
    ScreenCap 1.PNG
    Which model Mac do you have?

Try pressing and holding the power button down for 15-20 seconds. See if it shuts down. You may need to reset the SMC:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)