MBP won't turn on/boot from disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JTag, Mar 9, 2011.

1. JTag macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

My 2010 MBP was working fine this morning but wouldn't log me in this afternoon. When I rebooted, I saw the folder with the question mark. Then I booted off the install disk to get to disk utilities but my original boot drive did not show up so I assumed that the drive was dead. Then I swapped that drive out for another one. Here is where things got strange.

I can no longer boot from the install disk. I hold down "c" on boot and nothing happens. I also had a backup of my old drive using CCC but when I boot into the backup, the screen lock appears but I cannot enter my password. No letters show up when I use my keyboard.

Any suggestions? I need my computer for my schoolwork so this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The lock screen you see suggests you have a firmware password set. There are ways to bypass a firmware password on Mac OS X if you do a Google search.

3. JTag thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help! I tried many for those methods and still no luck. I still cannot get my mac to boot of a disk. I have tried two disks, the install disc that came with my mac and a retail snow leopard disk. When I select the disk to boot off of, I don't hear the DVD make any noises and it just shows the Apple logo and tells me to restart after a few minutes. Any ideas on that?