MBP won't turn on right away.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forafireescape, Feb 10, 2008.

1. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Today I was letting my battery go all the way down and then recharging it, since I heard that helps keep the battery healthy.

I unplugged it, left for a few hours, and when I came back it was dead. Usually when I do this, it goes to sleep and when I plug it back in it starts back up where I left off.

This time, when I plugged it in, I received no response. I kept pressing buttons and left it plugged in for about three minutes and nothing happened. Then, I held down the power button until it turned off. After it turned off, I pressed the power button again to turn it on, but it wouldn't even power on. It was plugged in and charging (the red light was on), but it wouldn't even turn on.

I tried this with the battery in and then I took the battery out as to run on just the power charge, but the MBP still wouldn't turn on.

It finally did turn on, and it seemed to be frozen on my screensaver. I had to turn it off (again, even though I had already turned it off) and restart it. When I did, the battery charge was at 8%.

So basically...has this ever happened to anyone? I have no idea why it wouldn't turn on when I plugged it in. I have AppleCare...should I call them?

Anyway, any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Kendall015 macrumors regular

I don't know specifics, but when the MagSafe is plugged in and the light is Red, not amber or green, then that means that it is charging the battery from completely empty. My mom had problems turning on her MBP when it was on red, but after she let it charge for a few minutes the light turned to amber and she was able to power on the computer. Hope that helps.

3. forafireescape thread starter macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I didn't know there were differences between red and amber...I thought it was just red and green :eek:

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

This is normal behavior. When i first got my MBP, I performed the battery calibration. After the complete drain, I plugged in my MBP and turned it on. Nothing happened. I thought it was broken and searched the internet for answers. I find that this has occurred to many people. It seems that the MBP will not turn on when the battery is excessively low as to assure it can properly charge it once the machine is on. But this is for the case where you drain the battery completely, the machine goes to sleep by itself and you let it sit there until the flashing white light disappears.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

when the computer is put to sleep (or goes flat) it will go into sleep mode, there is still a bit of battery energy left to save the RAM contents.

when the battery is fully flat, the RAM contents are saved to the HD, that is why when you turn the computer back on it will take a little while for the computer to restore the RAM back into the RAM....

6. forafireescape thread starter macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Thanks for all your help, guys! I feel a lot better :)