MBP won't turn on, sleep light blinks once

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rchalico, May 13, 2010.

1. rchalico macrumors newbie

Hello, I own a MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz and my problem happend like this:

Last night I stopped playing SC2 and closed my MBP, then this morning I noticed that while it was closed, it had not gone to sleep mode, or at least that's what I thought, because it was too hot and the fans spinning hard. I openned it and showed no video, but remained on. After a 5-sec power button restart, it flashed the sleep indicator once and did nothing else, except for the HD spinned for a sec.

I took the battery off and gave the computer time to cool off, because I sensed it way too hot.
    After I reinstalled the battery, I was able to turn it on the normal way, it worked just fine, but later I closed it again and when I openned it, it showed no video again.

I repeated the process of letting it cool down, but with no effect this time.
    The sleep indicator turns on once and it does nothing.
    I tried swapping the memories, resetting the SMC, tried booting pressing control + command + r + p, tried booting without the battery, tried booting without the magsafe, nothing has worked.

Now what happens when I press the power button is I hear the HD try to spin for half a second and the sleep indicator turn on once.

What else can I try or what problem would that be?

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Sounds like you've fried something, if resetting the SMC and PRAM hasn't helped then looks like there's a hardware failure. I'd suggest getting it looked at for a repair.

3. rchalico thread starter macrumors newbie

So I need to get it to service?

4. mac8867 macrumors 6502

yes

5. rchalico thread starter macrumors newbie

Upon taking it to Apple Service, they tell me that what failed is something power-related, but that it is integrated in the motherboard, so I would need to fully replace it.
    They are charging me $1,042 USD so I'm not gonna have it repaired, I may head out to ebay to get a spare motherboard and do it myself...

6. stillageek macrumors newbie

Ouch....I thought about doing the same when my 8600GT video card (2.4 GHz MBP) failed 2 weeks ago. I saw a few motherboards online...cheapest was in the $750 range. Thankfully Apple fixed mine under the extended warranty on the video card. Good luck finding a board.

7. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

had the same issue.. but thankfully i was under applecare so got it fixed last week