MBP won't turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tech198, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Tech198, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all.

I have a Mid-2012 Macbook Pro, I was using fine Saturday evening. And the battery was fully charged.

After packing it up in my laptop bag to take it out, i came home only to find the Macbook Pro no longer powers on.

I've plugged in the charger and the LED showed green, yet the battery indicator lights don't light at all, not even one led

I've done the SMC reset and still nothing.. Do you reckon a replacement is needed? Since i have AppleCare on this, it shoudn't be a problem.

The nly thing was, this will hold me up on selling it *workng* to get a new MBA.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

if your battery has crapped out, Applecare does not cover it if the computer is over one year old. As I just had to replace my own battery, I can tell you that Apple considers the battery a consumable, and only covers it for the first year, on the assumption that if it goes bad in the first year, it started off defective.

Since yours is a 2012, if you haven't gone over one year...it should be replaced for free.

3. scbond macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter what Apple says or considers, if it started off as a defective part they would need to replace it. Same goes for if it developed a fault through no fault of the consumer. However, with it being a consumable with no guarantee on lifetime, if it started off fine and has simply reached the end of it's lifespan (possible through heavy usage or poor maintenance) then they will charge.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You may well be right...I only know that I was told by several Apple folks that batteries are considered consumables, and they are only considered defective if they crap out in the first year. After that, it's considered normal deterioration and you pay for the replacement.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with what you said...I only know what I was told.

5. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Ok thanks,

When booking it in at my local Next byte store today, I asked "if i needed a replacement battery, weather it would be covered under AppleCare."

They said providing it has a full charge, which it does, then it would be covered.