MBP won't wake from sleep.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tristan tumble, May 7, 2009.

1. tristan tumble macrumors newbie

hi there,

i have a late 2008 mbp (2.5,4gigs ram, 512vid), running the latest version of osx.

I usually have my laptop in clamshell mode hooked up to an external monitor for the work day. When i'm done i unplug the monitor and take my laptop and open it and all i get is a black screen and it will not wake from sleep or whatever state it is in. i have gone to apple and they ran tests on the video card but it had no problems. sometimes this will happen when i'm just using is as a laptop, put it to sleep, and when i open it up it just wont turn on and i have to hard reboot.

I read the imacs had similar issues could this be the same? I haven't seen any firmware updates for my laptop.

thanks for any advice.
    tt.

2. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

Did you try resetting the SMC and PRAM? Directions are posted around the forums and @ Apple.com. I had a similar issue with a UMBP and the geniuses could recommend nothing but a archive and restore. When that didn't work I sent it to Apple and got it back with a new logic board. Good luck.

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

maybe it's tired?

sounds like you should have taken it up with Apple to get a new one when problems first started happening

4. tristan tumble thread starter macrumors newbie

I have taken it to apple, and the genius couldn't re-produce the problem, he recommended archive and install as well, but i haven't gotten around to doing that. I also have zapped the pram. This problem isn't consistent, and that is the problem it will just randomly happen. Should i go back to apple and request a new logic board?

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i would request either a full repair, or a new MBP

video tape it happening too. more than once every time it happens go ahead and video tape it

try to reproduce it on tape. just make sure you don't store the file on your MBP incase it doesn't wake back up haha

you could also try looking at your console to see what is going on there... sometimes there are wake events, etc.

you could ask another MR user if you could clear an energy saver .com pref file

maybe it lies in a corrupt USB pref file

does this make sense to anyone else?

6. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

i have noticed this problem myself (sometimes, not all the time). I have tried the following and up to now no problems:

1) make sure you ticked the mirror image in the display preference.
    2) make sure your laptop is connected to the power supply all the time when it is connected to the monitor.
    3) if your laptop in sleep mode activate it before disconnecting.
    4) Also before you disconnect the laptop, open it (you will notice the laptop screen is black) wait few seconds then disconnect the laptop from the screen. the screen in the laptop will go blue and then activate.
    5) disconnect the power supply.
    6) into your lap!

it looks like a long process, but it only takes less than a minute

i have doing the following for few days and it is working

7. tristan tumble thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice, i will try that out. Another thing to note however is when i unhook from my monitor and the display does come on for my laptop, my desktop icons disapear (or are just off screen since the external monitor is larger) so it seems the laptop hasn't re adjusted itself. Also are you saying have the mirror image ticked all the time? or only before i unhook the monitor cable?

thanks.

8. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Yes ticked all the time. You are not losing much by doing this (if you are using the external monitor as the main display rather than extension).

what you are describing (i think) is because you have not ticked the mirror image, so your external monitor and laptop becoming extension of each other.

9. tristan tumble thread starter macrumors newbie

I"m not always in clamshell mode,sometimes i will use both monitors, my laptop display and my external as a dual monitor setup. if i have 'mirror' set on, wont both monitors display the same thing, thus killing the dual monitor setup?

10. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Yes you are right. I guess then you may need to switch to mirror image before you put your laptop to sleep. To be honest i only use the external monitor, so it is not a problem for me.

try the steps i told you with and without the mirror image thing. Also make sure that your mouse and keyboard software is up to date. I just discovered today that my mighty mouse and keyboard were not up to date.

11. seneville macrumors newbie

i had a very similar issue with my mbp (early 2008). the pattern that i noticed is that if i closed my mbp (putting in suspend) for a long period of time (overnight) when i opened it back up again, the external monitor would come on but the laptop's monitor would not. (i use the dual screen, not mirrored). the other strange part is that i can move my mouse over into the laptop's monitor space (the cursor disappears into the blank screen instead of stopping at the external monitor's edge)

i talked to three people at apple care, then went to the apple store and after doing a full wipe/reinstall of my os, the problem was still there. then one apple employee told me that it's 'normal' for the mbp laptop to do that????

I can get it to not go blank if before opening up the laptop i unplug the external monitor... wait for the laptop screen to turn on, then pluggin the external in again. what a pain.

i want to take it back to apple but haven't found the time to do that yet.

12. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine